Assigning host entries to diffrent subnets

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 06:59:18 UTC 2007

Eric Bloodaxe wrote:
>I have several networks on the same physical interface, I have set
>up dhcpd.conf along the lines:
>
>authoritative;
>shared-network goldall {
>       subnet 158.223.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 {
>.....various options...
>    }
>subnet 192.168.129.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
>     ......options.....             pool {
>                       range 192.168.129.10 192.168.129.250;
>                       deny known clients;
>       }
>}
>
>I have a list of clients I want to associate with the various pools;
>however when I put host directives with in the subnet scopes I get
>the following warning:
>
>WARNING: Host declarations are global.  They are not limited to the
>scope you declared them in.
>
>So what I cannot figure out from is how to associate diffrent groups
>of host entries with diffrent  subnets?

That's because you can't - as the warning says, host declarations are
global<period>

Look in the man page for dhcpd.conf and see the sections on classes
and subclasses. There is an example there of how you may assign hosts
to classes based on MAC address, or if there is something unique
about these clients (eg vendor class id is some value) then you could
write a generic match on that feature.