Host with static entries in an other subnet

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Sep 28 21:58:38 UTC 2007

Patrick Cervicek wrote:

>We think, We found the problem. We had a file included with the
>following statement:
>
>         pool {
>         allow unknown-clients;
>         range 134.108.89.161 134.108.89.185;
>         max-lease-time 600;
>         }

That would do it, even if the host statement is ignored because it's
fixed-address is not valid for the clients subnet, it still makes the
client "known" - thus no client with a host declaration could get an
address in that subnet.

>we replaced it now with
>
>   range dynamic-bootp 134.108.89.161 134.108.89.185;
>   max-lease-time 600;

I would avoid the dynamic-bootp if you don't need it. bootp leases
don't have an expiry time, so the lease will remain active 'forever'
unless you manually delete it from the leases file - thus using up
your address pool.