Excluding a range from a subnet

Olivier Bax de Keating olivier.baxdekeating.external at aastra.com
Wed Apr 23 09:52:11 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm having the following problem :

I have to add a dhcp server in an already configured subnet, and manage
a range. The problem is that in my range, there may be one or many
devices with a static ip not configured in dhcp, and my dhcp server
musn't manage them. I'd like to declare one range, with excluded
ip/ranges to ignore. I had a look on internet but didn't find smthg
corresponding exactly to what I need :

IP Conflict prevention :

Ping an ip before proposing it to a new device, if there's an answer,
the ip is declared as abandoned in the lease file => it's exactly what I
want, but can I add abandoned ip myself, or is it not recommended
(problem when purging lease files ....)

Segmenting my range :

Declare 2 ranges with the excluded ip in the middle (not declared). It's
good if I have only 2 or 3 ip to exclude, but if I have 10 or more, it's
really fastidious.

Declaring them as hosts :

I would have to ask the mac address of each devices (or at least put a
default mac address, as I don't care giving address to them)

I'm interested in more elegants way of doing that (coping with abandoned
range instead of abandoned ip like in Windows DHCP server)

Thanks for all

Olivier