DHCP client how to make it pose as windows dhcp client

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Apr 27 14:23:20 UTC 2008

>Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 15:40:07 +0530
>From: "Arup Malakar" <amalakar at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Re: DHCP client how to make it pose as windows dhcp client
>
>On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Lars Jacobsen <lars-jacobsen at newmail.dk>
>wrote:
>
>> Have you tried releasing the IP form Windows before requesting IP from
>> Linux. Or let the lese time out. If neigher worksy you should contact the
>> ISP to hear if they may have something misconfigured.
>>

>I haven't tried releasing the ip from windows, which I will try and let you
>know. As I have heard from other users of the ISP it seems the ISP have
>mis-configured the dhcp server and other users are also facing the same
>problem. They have tried mailing the customer care, but their customer care
>is shit and there is no way I could make the ISP change the configuration.
>And I don't have the option of going for another ISP either.  So the only
>way is to pose as a windows machine and get connected.
>
>Regards,
>Arup Malakar

Can you install a packet sniifer on WIndows, eg Wireshark, and look at
what gets sent and received in the DHCP packets? Then do the same for
Linux.

Packet sniffing is the only reliable way to see what is happenning in
the conversation between your computer and the ISP.

Otherwise one solution might be to use a Windows machine with Internet
Connection Sharing as a gateway for the Linux machines.

regards,
-glenn