Wildly excessive DHCPREQUESTs

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Wed Feb 20 22:11:40 UTC 2008

> How did you notice this problem?
> Is there any monitoring tool that can help with this kind of observance?

I'm just post-processing the syslog file each night.
Something like this:

#!/bin/sh
THRESHOLD=1000
INPUT=/var/log/messages.0.gz
NRROOT=/var/netreg
NRLIB=${NRROOT}/lib
DHCPIGS=${NRLIB}/dhcpigs

zcat ${INPUT} | \
 grep -E "dhcpd: DHCP(DISCOVER|REQUEST|RELEASE)" | \
 awk '$0 ~ ":" {print $3,$1}' | \
 sort | \
 uniq -c | \
 sort -nr | \