Question about DHCP.

Luis Fernando Lacayo lflacayo at cps.k12.il.us
Mon Jul 7 20:27:39 UTC 2008

HI all,

I have a a small problem, and I am wondering if some one can guide me in
the general direction.

Question  A.

I have two DHCP servers (dell 2950 with 2 CPU's and 4G or RAM) set up as
a failover.

I had a subnet that had ran out of available leases and I had to clear
the old leases. I stopped but DHCPD servers and deleted both of the
lease files on each of the two servers.   When I restarted the servers,
the both went into a "not responding (recovering)" for all the networks
that I have defined in my configuration file.  I thought that it would
just take a few minutes for the recovery process but I waited over an
hour and it was still not offering any leases.

I had to delete the failover configuration and start up one of the two
servers to get the people to work.

Question B.

If a device tries to renew a lease at half of the lease time, and the
dhcp server does not respond the device will hold the IP until the
actual end of the lease. right?

But what if the server says, I don't have you on file you will need a
new lease, will the device ask for a new lease and if the DHCP server is
not offering any leases, the asking device will lose it's IP right... or
is there something I am not getting here.

any advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

Luis
--