Question about DHCP.

Claus Holm Christensen iscdhcp at claushc.dk
Mon Jul 7 21:44:42 UTC 2008

Luis Fernando Lacayo skrev:
> If a device tries to renew a lease at half of the lease time, and the
> dhcp server does not respond the device will hold the IP until the
> actual end of the lease. right?

That's right. Once the server issues a DHCPACK, then the IP address is
committed for the full lifetime of the lease, and nothing can change that.

> But what if the server says, I don't have you on file you will need a
> new lease, will the device ask for a new lease and if the DHCP server is
> not offering any leases, the asking device will lose it's IP right... or
> is there something I am not getting here.

There is no way the server can say that. It can either approve or deny
the request, and if denied the answer to your first question apply.

After some further waiting time, the client will try again, and finally
become desperate enough and broadcast a DHCPDISCOVER for any DHCP-server
out there to offer an IP address.

--
Claus Holm Christensen