DHCP on an old, slow AIX box.

Jeff Sumner jeff.sumner at nationalcity.com
Tue Mar 18 06:19:05 UTC 2008

Here's my once/year request:

Anyone running DHCPD on a really slow AIX box experiencing problems? Version
3.1.0 and 3.1.1b1 both do the same thing. I've a teeny network (build for
experimentation) and have an old RS/6000 with BIND 9.4.2 (DDNS enabled) on
it, sufficient RAM, 10/100MB Ethernet adapter. DHCP builds fine (gcc
obtained from IBM- version 4.0.0) and seemingly runs well.

All DHCP requests are recorded in the log, dutifully, as are the offers.

Only once has a device obtained a lease. I almost never see packets coming
back into the devices. I've a couple Macs on the wire (with Wireshark) and I
get nothing back when trying to force DHCP requests- but the log does say
it's trying.
I've even tried plugging right into the RS/6000. I've tried the other NIC on
the RS/6000, too, finding an old Ethernet transceiver.
Once, though, I got a DDNS entry to go, and the laptop did record a 15
minute lease, only to NOT be able to refresh it for failure to see the ack.

This device works fine as a DNS server, SSH server/client, or anything else
I could ask for. I don't see errors in the log, and netstat show nothing
dropped.

Anyone?

***National City made the following annotations