two tftp server

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 22 14:39:06 UTC 2008

Mario Scovazzi wrote:

>I have two tftp server: is possible to configure one primary and the other
>secondary?
>The option "option tftp-server-name string" want only a server.

Correct, in the DHCP packet there is only room for one entry, so
there is no simple way to list two servers  and have the client try
both. Things you can do include :

1) Run the two tftp server in a HA setup - ie one IP managed by two
servers in a high availability setup.

2) Pass out two different values to clients so that should one server
fail then only half your clients are affected. If the TFTP server run
on the same machine as the DHCP servers, then you could have the two
servers in a failover pair give out their own address - that way
should a server die (as opposed to the DHCP service), then the
remaining DHCP server will give out it's own (working) address for
TFTP server.

3) Knock some form of monitoring that can alter the DHCP config
should one of the server fail.