Guidelines for Sever dimensioning

Brad Dameron Brad.Dameron at clearwire.com
Fri Oct 17 08:22:13 UTC 2008

We are a large ISP and have several hardware configurations. I can tell you the following configuration and what it is doing in production right now.

Pentium 4 3Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80Gb SATA-I hard drive.

It is currently handling a little over 25,000 clients with a 24 hour lease time. This is a mixed OS type of client.

In our lab we did many tests and with a AMD X2 6000+ with 4GB of DDR2 800 and a Gigabyte i-RAM ramdisk with 4GB on it we were able to handle upwards of 350k clients. This was using Nominum's dhcperf test too with a 24 hour lease time. 200k customers was achievable with a 250GB SATA-II Seagate enterprise drive.

We also had modified the source code slightly to adjust a hash setting. You can find that in the list email. Just search for my name.

The AMD processor was ultimately the best for handling DHCP. This is due to how it handles memory.

Also one huge performance enhancement on our linux servers was due to the dhcp logging itself. If you use syslogd you need to look at putting a hypen in front of the path/filename like:

# DHCP message into seperate file
local6.*                                                -/var/log/dhcpd.log

Or if you don't log to a specific file and log to messages:

*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;         -/var/log/messages

If you use syslog-ng then in the conf change:

options {
    sync (0);

TO:

options {
    sync (20);

What this does is to only write 20 lines to the log at a time. Instead of writing every line individually. This saves on a lot of disk activity and heavily increases DHCP performance.

Brad Dameron
Clearw're
Senior Systems Engineer