"ignore booting" and failover?

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.uzh.ch
Fri Oct 24 14:55:48 UTC 2008

Am 24.10.2008 um 15:27 schrieb Drew Weaver:

> Have you ever used a Server before?
>
> A BMC is a baseboard management controller it is used to perform
> system management tasks out of band such as IPMI, etc.
>
> While a server with a BMC is booting up it will say 'Press CTRL-
> [something]' to configure the baseboard management controller.
>
> Simply assign a fake static IP to it so it will stop trying to get a
> IP from DHCP.
>
> By default it comes with a 192.168.x.x IP assigned to it from Dell
> so someone there (you or one of your "colleagues") must have told it
> to use DHCP.
>
> I'm not sure why it's a "#"!?** Dell server" when its doing exactly
> what you told it to do.
>
> -Drew

Sorry, I didn't know that, I'm not responsible for the Windows servers
here, and I don't know much about them (and Windows in general), I'm
doing mostly (well, call that "only") Mac support and server
administration. I guess my colleague configured it like this, but it
must have happened inadvertently, since he didn't know about it
either. The other Dell server we have was configured the same way
(AFAIK), but isn't doing this. I'll tell my colleague to have a look
at that. Thanks for the hint, though, and sorry for the rant, it was
just getting on my nerves...

Nevertheless, I'd like to know why just one of the peers is ignoring
the DISCOVERS?

Tina