Where should DHCPNAK be sent to as lease expiration notice when Relay Agent Info option is in use?

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Apr 22 12:48:23 UTC 2009

>Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:34:46 +0100
>To: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
>From: Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: Where should DHCPNAK be sent to as lease expiration notice when
Relay Agent Info option is in use?

>I can't answer your questions, but I do have an observation ...
>
>The LAST thing you should be doing is writing software based solely
>on observation like this. I would have thought that this should be
>covered by the relevant standards, and you should design to the
>standards and then work out which clients are broken, and how.

Hi Michael

RFC 2131 and RFC 2132 are the base DHCP standards. There are other
features that have been added, but you need to get these bits right
before you go much further.

There is a file References.txt, in the doc directory of the ISC DHCP
distribution which lists all the relevant RFCs and other standards.
This would be a good starting point I think.

ISC-DHCP is a reference implementation of the DHCP standards. There are
about 175000 lines of code, so I hope you realise what you are geting
into :)

regards,
-glenn