dhcpd on Solaris 10

Jeff Wieland wieland at purdue.edu
Mon Apr 27 03:01:33 UTC 2009

I would very, very much like to see the SMF scripts.  They've been on
my todo list for a while, but they never bubble to the top :-).
Perhaps they should be distributed with dhcp????

Glenn Satchell wrote:
> Hi Jason
>
> Ok, been testing with dhcp version 4.1.x
>
> 4.1.0 does not work for me. I see the dhcpdiscover packets come in,
> dhcpd logs that it sent an offer, but nothing further. Using snoop to
> capture traffic on udp ports 67 and 68 shows the discovers, but the
> offer is not transmitted.
>
> 4.1.1b1 does work for me. I think it is this bug that was fixed:
>
> - A bug in DLPI packet transmission (Solaris, HP/UX) that caused the server
>   to stop receiving packets is fixed.  The same fix also means that the MAC
>   address will no longer appear 'bogus' on DLPI-based systems.
>
> siaddr is zero in all cases. Using the exact same dhcpd.conf in all cases.
>
> So make sure of the version you are using (dhcpd --version).
>
> Also I have smf scipts if you'd like to manage dhcpd that way and I'll
> send them to you, or the list if there's more than two enquiries.
>
> # svcs dhcpd
> STATE          STIME    FMRI
> online         11:57:24 svc:/site/dhcp/server:dhcpd
>
> regards,
> -glenn
>
>> Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 00:09:09 +1000 (EST)
>> From: Glenn Satchell <Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au>
>> Subject: Re: dhcpd on Solaris 10
>> To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>>
>> Hi Jason
>>
>> I can confirm that dhcp-3.1.2 works for me with Solaris 10 sparc.
>> siaddr is zero, client recieves the address ok.
>>
>> Can you try setting siaddr using next-server command to see if this
>> makes any difference?
>>
>>  next-server a.b.c.d;
>>
>> regards,
>> -glenn
>>
>>> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 23:33:38 +1000 (EST)
>>> From: Glenn Satchell <Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au>
>>> Subject: Re: dhcpd on Solaris 10
>>>
>>> Hmm, interesting. I have Solaris 10 update 6 on sparc 64 bit (Ultra 10,
>>> cough), and my clients all seem to work fine when the siaddr is zero.
>>> I'm only running 3.1.1 atm, but will upgrade to 3.1.2 to see what I
>>> get. I only have 32 bit x86, but I can also try one of those as the
>>> server.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> -glenn

>>> the
>> is

           Jeff Wieland            |         Purdue University
    Network Systems Administrator  |        ITN&S Data Networks
        Voice: (765)496-8234       |        501 Harrison Street
         FAX: (765)494-6620        |   West Lafayette, IN 47907-2025