Memory footprint of dhcpd process steadily increasing

Leif Arne Neset leifa at alfanett.no
Mon Apr 27 11:14:33 UTC 2009

Jeff Wieland skrev:
>>> Initial tests of this patch look very promising. Now we just need to
>>> let the DHCP servers run a couple of weeks without restart, to verify
>>> that the memory consumption of the dhcpd process stays the same.
>>
>> It hasn't been a couple of weeks yet - but the previous memory leak
>> trend was very visible, and is now totally gone. I think we can say
>> that this problem is solved!

I've applied the patch to a pair of 3.0.x servers with about 150.000
active leases (five hours leasetime) and the memory leak seems to be
gone. First I patched one of the two servers in the pair and the memory
usage of dhcpd was steady at about 60-70 Mbyte on the patched server,
but increased slowly to about 1 GByte after two days at the unpatched
server. The second server in the pair is now patched and the memory
footprint is steady at about 60-70 Mbyte at the server pair even though
there has been a lot of dhcpdiscover traffic over the weekend.

Leif Arne Neset
leifa at alfanett.no