dhcpd, Mac OS X and launchd

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Apr 29 11:06:52 UTC 2009

-- Tina Siegenthaler <tina at zool.uzh.ch> is rumored to have mumbled on 29.
April 2009 13:01:11 +0200 regarding dhcpd, Mac OS X and launchd:

> The man page for launchd.plist states that "a daemon launched by launchd
> must not fork(2) and have the parent process exit (3) or _exit(2)." I'm
> absolutely no programmer, but I had a quick glance at the code in
> dhcpd.c, and it seems to me that this is what dhcpd does? Or am I
> completely wrong here? If this is the case, how do you start your dhcpd
> at startup on Mac OS X?

If you specify the "-f" flag, you should be able to make it work with
launchd. I guess there's a DHCP launchd file for OS X Server, so if you
have access to that you can take it look how it's done there.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK)