dhcp failover using static hosts

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Dec 26 14:57:38 UTC 2009

red1 red wrote:

>I have dhcp server serving dynamic & static IPs , I would like to
>apply failover between 2 dhcp servers, my issue is how to add static
>IPs subnets to failover, as you see in my below config , I'm not
>defining any pool section,  and as I read in dhcp doc that it's
>mondatory to define failover by pool like this:
>pool {
>         failover peer "foo";
>         pool specific parameters
>};

That only applies to dynamically assigned addresses. For Statically
assigned address like you are using, just duplicate the assignments
across the two servers - by definition, both servers will offer the
same address and failover isn't required. Probably the easiest way to
keep both servers in sync is to use an include file for the host
assignments, and write some scripts that will :
- generate the include file from whatever config system you use
- trigger a restart of the local dhcp server
- copy the file to the remote system
- trigger a restart of the remote dhcp server

--
Simon Hobson