Leases based on MAC addresses

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Sun Feb 8 12:05:55 UTC 2009

>Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 13:37:02 -0700
>From: Elliot Finley <lists at efinley.com>
>To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>Subject: Leases based on MAC addresses
>
>is there any way in the newest version of ISC-DHCP to have MAC based
>leases rather than UID based leases?
>
>If not, is there anyone willing to code this into the official release
>for $$$?
>
>If not, can anyone point me to the right place in the code to hack this
>in myself?
>
>Thanks,
>Elliot

It's already there and has been for many years. Use a host statement
with a hardware ethernet statement to match against, eg in the
minimalist form:

host host_label {
	hardware ethernet aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff;
	fixed-address 192.168.0.1;
}

The host statement will automatically pick up options, such as
routers, from the corresponding subnet declaration.

A couple of beers will cover the cost :)

regards,
-glenn