suspending and renewing dhclient

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 02:08:22 UTC 2009

On laptop systems, I am seeing a problem when coming back from suspend
or hibernate.  dhclient resumes operation, but it may end up using an
expired lease depending on how long your system was suspended or in
hibernation (and on the lease time on the server).

Questions:

1) Is there a way to properly suspend dhclient on a running system?

2) Is there a way to kick dhclient and make it go through RENEW?  There
doesn't appear to be much in the way of signal handling that I can find,
and I briefly looked at omshell, but I'm not sure that's what I want.

Any pointers would be useful.

Thanks,

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>