suspending and renewing dhclient

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Feb 17 20:49:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 04:08:22PM -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
> 1) Is there a way to properly suspend dhclient on a running system?

There is; you can use omshell to set the client-state to 'S_STOPPED'
(8).  I wouldn't recommend it...I'm not sure it works for the DHCPv6
client either.

> 2) Is there a way to kick dhclient and make it go through RENEW?  There
> doesn't appear to be much in the way of signal handling that I can find,
> and I briefly looked at omshell, but I'm not sure that's what I want.

Right now, I would just kill and restart dhclient on resume.  It will
INIT-REBOOT and get the old lease (re)configured.  This is a good
thing, as laptops might change networks between suspend and resume.

For the future answer, I'm looking at dbus integration, so dhclient
can get hal messages about link state changes and hibernation events,
so it can cycle itself through INIT-REBOOT without a worry (or maybe
even look at "DNAv4").