Strange behavior encountered with dhcp 4.0.0 on Solaris 10

ladislas.adamku at videotron.com ladislas.adamku at videotron.com
Wed Jan 21 18:05:15 UTC 2009

Hi,

Can you please let me know if this may be a problem with dhcpd:

Operating system and version:       SunOS 5.10 kernel patch level 120011-14
- sparc on Sun Blade T6300
C (Gcc library) version:                  3.4.6
DHCP distribution:                  4.0.0 (Internet Systems Consortium DHCP
Server 4.0.0)

Problem:
-  we start the dhcpd daemon with "/opt/sbin/dhcpd", in debug mode. It runs
fine for some time...
- after a certain time (varies from hours to minutes), the log ceases to be
updated, so does the leasing of new addresses
- to restart, we must first kill the current dchpd and then restart dhcpd.
Nothing in the log indicates why dhcpd stopped delivering new addresses.

Tested:
- started the dhcpd daemon with a truss command (truss -feai -o
/var/tmp/dhcpd.tru).  It ran for some time, then the process died after
having forked
a child.  The child ran, but did no longer responded to requests.

For the dhcpd.lease, dhcpd.lease~ and dhcpd.log files, use an anonymous ftp
connection to ftp.videotron.net.   The files are in the pub directory.
filename          size
dhcpd.leases            7705924 bytes
dhcpd.leases~           7735186 bytes
dchpd.log         151946264 bytes

(See attached file: dhcpd.conf)

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated,

Regards,
Ladislas Adamku
Unix Systems Administrator
Videotron Ltd.