DHCP static leases

Brandon Munger bmunger at edison.edu
Mon Jan 26 16:28:31 UTC 2009

Yes, it is defined as a host declaration with the fixed-address.
How are reserved leases defined?  Can it be defined in the host
declaration area?  Thank you.

Brandon

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Brandon Munger wrote:
>
>> Yes those static leases are in the range.  We use this for IP
>> printers so what we normally
>> do is turn the printer on, let it get an IP address, then go into the
>> dhcpd.conf and add
>> that as a static address.
>
> I assume by "static lease" you mean "host declaration with fixed
> address" ?
>
> If that is the case then you MUST NOT have the static address included
> in any dynamic range<period>
>
> If you have the address in a dynamic range then you are telling the
> server that the address is available for leasing to clients, so it
> does just that. I think version 4 introduces a facility for reserved
> leases - so you could continue dynamically allocating addresses, and
> then simply set the lease to reserved so it cannot be given to any
> other client.

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,