DHCP static leases

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Tue Jan 27 20:48:37 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:13:56AM -0500, Brandon Munger wrote:
> feasible.  On other
> dhcp servers, its always been possible to reserve addresses from the dhcp
> range for
> static assignments.  I always thought this was possible on the ISC dhcpd
> which is why
> this system was configured this way.  Thanks for your help.

Reserved dynamic leases is a feature distinct from fixed-address
configurations.

You can mark a lease reserved by editing dhcpd.leases (with the
server shutdown of course) or by using OMAPI.

The problem I've discovered with making reservations possible at
'dhcpd.conf time' is that it is not very easy to detect a revocation
of the reservation (if you remove the host record, the user expects
the reservation to be removed, which is not true; it is permanently
reflected in dhcpd.leases until it is reset).