upgrading some old servers

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Jan 29 13:24:32 UTC 2009

>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:19:49 +0100
>Subject: upgrading some old servers
>From: Marty Sørensen <buzzwork at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at lists.isc.org
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about upgrading some and "old" Debian stable 3.0.4-13 to
> compiled 3.0.7 ISC DHCPservers.
> How is this gonna effect our failover setup ? I have read in the release
> note on 3.0.7 that a new field is added in the leases-file,
> is this gonna be any problem ? We would like to stay on 3.0 for now and then
> upgrade later again.
>
> What procedure could i use ? Can i just take down both of the servers,
> compile a new version and start the servers up again ?
> or could i do a PARTNER-DOWN state on the primare and turn off the sec.
> Power down the primary and upgrade both server, and then turn
> them on again ???
>
> Hope any one can kick me in the right direction here asap :-)
>
> Martin
> DK

Hi Martin

The new version of dhcpd will add the required field to dhcpd.leases
automatically.

Simplest way is to test that the new version likes your config and
lease files, 0 for exit status and no other messages means they are ok.

glenn at drill% dhcpd -t
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

glenn at drill% echo $?
0

glenn at drill% dhcpd -T
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

glenn at drill% echo $?
0

Then shut down the old versions on both systems, save a copy of the old
leases file just in case, and start up the new ones. I always start the
secondary first, but as the config files and leases are already the same
it doesn't really matter.

Monitor the log files and you should see the new servers synchronise.
I'd suggest doing this at a quiet time of day.

regards,
-glenn