DHCPD to log to another log file

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 08:05:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 2:59 AM, Jessica Meyer <jessmeyer82 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have read a lot about DHCP logging, although I'm missing information
> about DHCP logging. I know that DHCPD logs to syslog per default, and
> this works great. But what I need is a "custom log" of just a limited
> set of information (using the log() function).
>
> Am I able to configure a second, independent log for this case? So
> I've nothing against logging in syslogd, but I need a "clean" file
> with just the information i want.

In your dhcpd.conf file:

  log-facility local4;

In your syslog.conf file:

#
# dhcp assigned to local4
local4.*                                                /var/log/dhcpd.log
local4.notice
/var/log/dhcpd-notice.log
local4.warning
/var/log/dhcpd-warning.log
local4.err                                              /var/log/dhcpd-err.log

--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in