DHCPD 4.1.0 not writing leases to dhcpd.leases for fixed ip addresses

Jessica Meyer jessmeyer82 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 07:49:01 UTC 2009

Hi list

I'm having a strange issue on a ISC DHCP 4.1.0 server. I have both
dynamic and "static" IPs in several subnets. Now if a client requests
a dynamic address (i.e. an IP address in a "range" context),
everything works as expected. The server gives out the IP address and
all other options that I have configured, and creates an entry in the
server's dhcpd.leases file.

I have several devices that have "fixed" IP addresses, configured like this:

host 00xxyyzzaabbcc {
	hardware ethernet 00:xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc;
	fixed-address 10.10.2.48;
}

If the device with MAC address 00:xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc requests an IP
address, the DHCP server does offer him 10.10.2.48 and nothing else -
which is what I want. The interesting thing is that it does not write
a lease definition in the dhcpd.leases file, which I don't unterstand.

How can I force the DHCP server to write that lease to the
dhcpd.leases file too?

Regards,
Jess