DHCPd v3.1.1 ddns and AAAA records

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Fri Jul 10 16:48:46 UTC 2009

The end state you need to be compatible with standard ddns updates is
to have a DHCID in dns along with the AAAA.  The current ddns routines
(even in 4.x) will delete the A and then the DHCID and leave a AAAA up
which then causes the next A addition to fail (FQDN exists and DHCID
mismatch).

We've committed fixes for 4.x which will make sure both A and AAAA do
not exist before dropping the DHCID (which right now is still our
bogus TXT record), but I'm not sure we ever planned to pull this down
to the maintenance branch for 3.1.3..