DHCPd v3.1.1 ddns and AAAA records

Stuart Longland redhatter at gentoo.org
Sat Jul 11 14:09:50 UTC 2009

David W. Hankins wrote:
> The end state you need to be compatible with standard ddns updates is
> to have a DHCID in dns along with the AAAA.  The current ddns routines
> (even in 4.x) will delete the A and then the DHCID and leave a AAAA up
> which then causes the next A addition to fail (FQDN exists and DHCID
> mismatch).
>
> We've committed fixes for 4.x which will make sure both A and AAAA do
> not exist before dropping the DHCID (which right now is still our
> bogus TXT record), but I'm not sure we ever planned to pull this down
> to the maintenance branch for 3.1.3..

This is fair enough.  I haven't tried dhcpd 4.x... and I'm certainly not
beyond upgrading to it if it'll include this feature.  (The network here
is not mission critical as such, so long as the software works most of
the time, I'm happy to debug the moments when it doesn't work and
contribute fixes.)

That said... I'd rather not have dhcpd mess around with AAAA records,
unless of course it also handles DHCPv6, in which case, sure, it should
manage both A and AAAA.  If a client releases its lease, I do not want
the AAAA record to disappear, just the A record.  (If I ever get around
to implementing DHCPv6 here, I'll be leaning on the daemon for that
service to manage dynamic AAAAs in DNS.)

Is it possible at all to convince dhcpd (any version) to ignore AAAAs?
My work around thus far has been to create a dyn.mynet.org domain for
dynamic DNS entries, with mynet.org containing the static entries... but
this seems hackish to me.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter)              .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
   ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.