Where does DHCPD store its backup of the dhcpd.leases file?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Jul 20 07:41:27 UTC 2009

> I'm wondering where ISC DHCPD stores its backup lease definitions.
> When I stop DHCPD and manually add a lease in /var/db/dhcpd.leases
> (where my leases are stored) and then start DHCPD again, it deletes my
> changes out of the file and the content is the same as it was before
> my change.
>
> I'm wondering where they come from. I saw a file
> /var/db/dhcpd.leases~, but deleting it doesn't help.

File paths vary a bit by system, but /var/db/dhcpd.leases *is* a
pretty typical location.

It sounds to me like you either have the wrong format for the lease
you're trying to add (in which case I would expect dhcpd to complain
via syslog on startup), or dhcpd is using a different path for its
leases file.

Do you run dhcpd in a failover pair?

> I know it's bad to edit the dhcpd.leases file and probably this
> mechanism is a feature, but I really need to do it like that.

Maybe you could give a bit more detail of why you need to do it
this way, and we might be able to help you better.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no