Where does DHCPD store its backup of the dhcpd.leases file?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 20 09:31:50 UTC 2009

Jessica Meyer wrote:

>If there's a way how to use reserved-statements, I would be happy. But
>as far as I understand, there's no "reserved" statement in the
>configuration file (dhcpd.conf), but they're in the lease file, right?

Never used it myself, but I believe you need to create a minimal
lease entry manually and include the "reserved;" statement in it - it
will need to include the client MAC address, and it will need to be
in a dynamic range.

But, you'll also need to remove any other leases held by the client,
and possibly get the client to forget about any previous leases.
Alternatively, just change an existing client lease to reserved.

>Absolutely. I'm working in a DOCSIS (cable modem) environment and for
>some strange reasons the CMTS (cable modem termination system) needs a
>DHCPLEASEACTIVE with the client's IP and MAC address - if there's no
>such answer from DHCPD, it won't create an ARP table entry and the
>customer can not surf. This is a security feature ("source-verify").
>In our lab I found out that LEASEQUERY only works for the CMTS if
>there is a lease in dhcpd.leases.

Interesting.

--
Simon Hobson