host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 3 00:15:06 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>> So why do you think this DUID would be the same unchanged during a
>> device's lifetime? I upgrade my OSes regularly and for several reasons I
>> usually do so with a full new install, not an upgrade. Quite often I
>> also switch the disk for a bigger one.
>>
>> The way I see this is that I will have to redo my DNS settings every
>> time, since the DUID is new, the DNS will point to something old and no
>> more existing.
>>
>> Why did you want to select something significantly less stable than MAC
>> address?
>
> This is a contrived example.

Sorry, but I've got several hundred lab machines that refute the idea that
Sten's scenario is contrived.  Between OS patching, incremental patching of
dozens of various course applications, policy changes, and dealing with
student abuse, frequent reimaging is the most reliable and least effort method
of keeping them all in good working order.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken