host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Tue Mar 3 01:09:45 UTC 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Frank Sweetser wrote:
> Sorry, but I've got several hundred lab machines that refute the
> idea that
> Sten's scenario is contrived.

I don't mean "contrived" in the sense of "never happens in
practice."   I mean contrived in the sense that using it to prove the
point Sten was trying to prove is contrived, because I can come up
with an opposite example that proves the opposite point, and is an
equally valid example.   Thus, the answer can be attained by following
neither example, but instead must account for both.

Believe me, I understand and sympathize.   I have to maintain machines
like this too.

But remember that DHCP deployments in the millions of addresses per
server are not uncommon in the ISP space, so although your 300 are
significant, there are many other situations out there that DHCP also
has to support.