host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Tue Mar 3 02:00:58 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2009, at 5:15 PM, Frank Sweetser wrote:
>> Sorry, but I've got several hundred lab machines that refute the idea
>> that
>> Sten's scenario is contrived.
>
> I don't mean "contrived" in the sense of "never happens in practice."
> I mean contrived in the sense that using it to prove the point Sten was
> trying to prove is contrived, because I can come up with an opposite
> example that proves the opposite point, and is an equally valid
> example.   Thus, the answer can be attained by following neither
> example, but instead must account for both.

Fair enough.  Personally, I suspect that in most cases software changes would
wipe the DUID far more frequently than hardware changes that would change the
MAC address, but can I see your point.

> Believe me, I understand and sympathize.   I have to maintain machines
> like this too.
>
> But remember that DHCP deployments in the millions of addresses per
> server are not uncommon in the ISP space, so although your 300 are
> significant, there are many other situations out there that DHCP also
> has to support.

And for those situations, I can see how adding the DUID value can solve
problems.  Even on our comparatively tiny network with a few thousand hosts,
we've twice run into duplicate MAC addresses from sleazy vendors.  (Of course,
that broke ethernet altogether, since they were on the same LAN, so the fact
that this broke DHCP didn't even enter into the picture for me =)

The kicker for me, then, isn't so much the DUID and the rules that go into
generating it.  It's really the removal of a field explicitly defined as the
client hardware address from the client requests that wipes out a lot of my
current workflow, and, since those million client sites can freely ignore the
client HW address in favor of the new DUID, its removal feels rather
gratuitous to those of us who depend on it every day.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken