host-identifier with IPv6

Paul Selkirk Paul_Selkirk at isc.org
Wed Mar 4 23:19:12 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2009, at 1:29 PM, David W. Hankins wrote:
> > Because the quick way isn't complete (DUID-EN).
>
> Sure it is.   The quick way that I outlined is that you plunder the ND
> table to get the Mac address.   This works no matter what DUID type
> you are using.

I like the use of the word "plunder", but that only works if the
client is on the same link as the server.  In the scenarios we've been
talking about, that's not the case.  Absent a new option for the
client or relay to communicate the MAC addr to the server, the only
tool we have in the toolbox is DUID.

				paul