host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Wed Mar 4 23:55:19 UTC 2009

On Mar 4, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Paul Selkirk wrote:
> I like the use of the word "plunder", but that only works if the
> client is on the same link as the server.

SNMP is your friend.   Get the Mac address from the on-link router.

BTW, if you do decide to go ahead with a draft, I'd suggest making it
a relay agent option rather than a client-sourced option.   The relay
agent has the information, because it's talking to the client.   This
substantially lowers the adoption cost - you just have to get the
vendors who supply your relay agents to implement it, and if they are
intransigent, you are their direct customer, so you can drop them.
This is not really the case for DHCP client implementations.