host-identifier with IPv6

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Thu Mar 5 00:05:39 UTC 2009

Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Paul Selkirk wrote:
>> I like the use of the word "plunder", but that only works if the
>> client is on the same link as the server.
>
> SNMP is your friend.   Get the Mac address from the on-link router.
>
> BTW, if you do decide to go ahead with a draft, I'd suggest making it a
> relay agent option rather than a client-sourced option.   The relay
> agent has the information, because it's talking to the client.   This
> substantially lowers the adoption cost - you just have to get the
> vendors who supply your relay agents to implement it, and if they are
> intransigent, you are their direct customer, so you can drop them.
> This is not really the case for DHCP client implementations.

Just to clarify, this would mean that this new relay based MAC address option
would not be present in unicast traffic to the server, correct?  Or does all
client to server traffic go through the relay in DHCPv6, unlike in DHCPv4?

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken