host-identifier with IPv6

Sten Carlsen sten at s-carlsen.dk
Thu Mar 5 00:38:16 UTC 2009

Frank Sweetser wrote:
> Ted Lemon wrote:
>> On Mar 4, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Paul Selkirk wrote:
>>> I like the use of the word "plunder", but that only works if the
>>> client is on the same link as the server.
>>
>> SNMP is your friend.   Get the Mac address from the on-link router.
>>
>> BTW, if you do decide to go ahead with a draft, I'd suggest making it
>> a relay agent option rather than a client-sourced option.   The relay
>> agent has the information, because it's talking to the client.   This
>> substantially lowers the adoption cost - you just have to get the
>> vendors who supply your relay agents to implement it, and if they are
>> intransigent, you are their direct customer, so you can drop them.
>> This is not really the case for DHCP client implementations.
>
> Just to clarify, this would mean that this new relay based MAC address
> option would not be present in unicast traffic to the server,
> correct?  Or does all client to server traffic go through the relay in
> DHCPv6, unlike in DHCPv4?
Would you need that? I mean if you get the DUID AND the MAC(link-level
address) when you hand out the IP, you could store both with the
correlation between them in e.g. the leasesv6 file or some such place.
As long as the lease is valid, you can then use and probably trust the
DUID, which you have easier access to in the protocol.

I know this might be a bit more change than your target; but is it too much?

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

No improvements come from shouting: