host-identifier with IPv6

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Fri Mar 6 01:19:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 04:55:19PM -0700, Ted Lemon wrote:
> BTW, if you do decide to go ahead with a draft, I'd suggest making it a
> relay agent option rather than a client-sourced option.   The relay agent
> has the information, because it's talking to the client.   This
> substantially lowers the adoption cost - you just have to get the vendors
> who supply your relay agents to implement it, and if they are intransigent,
> you are their direct customer, so you can drop them.   This is not really
> the case for DHCP client implementations.

There's no reason why we can't use one option code for both.

But you're talking about the interim solution using relays, because it
isn't complete for DHCPv6 as a product.  It breaks down in unicast
renewals.

So there are good reasons to encourage client implementors to
supply the same mac address option in their IA_'s, and ISC's
would.