host-identifier with IPv6

Ted Lemon Ted.Lemon at nominum.com
Fri Mar 6 01:32:06 UTC 2009

On Mar 5, 2009, at 6:19 PM, David W. Hankins wrote:
> But you're talking about the interim solution using relays, because it
> isn't complete for DHCPv6 as a product.  It breaks down in unicast
> renewals.

This seems like a non-problem - if you want the relay agent to report
the Mac address, don't do unicast renewals.   Unicast renewals, as far
as I can tell, add nearly zero value, so it's unlikely to be an issue.
Certainly a client could send the option, but not only is it
unnecessary, it would waste packet space for both the client and the
relay to do it.