Cannot listen on the lo interface

Seraina Steiner seraina.steiner at live.com
Wed Mar 25 08:04:14 UTC 2009

Hi list

I need my DHCPD listen to both eth0 and lo interfaces. When I start dhcpd with with eth0 and lo (/usr/local/sbin/dhcpd eth0 lo), I get the following error message:

No subnet declaration for lo (127.0.0.1).
** Ignoring requests on lo.  If this is not what
   you want, please write a subnet declaration
   in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
   to which interface lo is attached. **

Well, that one is clear, so I've added the following network declaration to /etc/dhcpd.conf:

subnet 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 { }

But then I get this error:

Unsupported device type 772 for "lo"

I've no idea what is wrong, and I haven't found any more information about that.

Thank you for helping me

PS: The reason why I want DHCPD to listen on the lo device is that I query DHCP from the same host, and the packets go to the lo device.