DHCP failover problems - still

Robert Blayzor rblayzor.bulk at inoc.net
Wed May 6 20:30:48 UTC 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 4:18 PM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> DHCP is a (disk) I/O intensive activity, and I would be rather
> sceptical
> about running this over NFS.

The servers are diskless BSD, in which the roots run over NFS.  DHCP
itself (clients file) is not on NFS, it's either on a memory disk or
on a local disk in the server.  So over NFS does not apply here.

> My own theory is that the server gets sufficiently busy with disk I/O
> (or in your case NFS I/O) that it doesn't have time to process the
> keepalive messages. See for instance
>
>  https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2008-August/007017.html

I'd believe that if our server was really very busy.  But we're only
receiving maybe 5-10 messages a second at most... CPU sits at about 1%
usage.

> This is a bug that I and several others have seen. I can reproduce it,
> and I have tried to give ISC enough info to reproduce it (offering the
> use of my lab if necessary). But so far no luck. See
>
>  https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/dhcp-users/2008-November/007433.html

Swell ... :-/

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH