implementing dhcpv6

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 17:08:30 UTC 2009

sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>  > Nope.  DHCPv6 can *not* be used to assign a subnet mask (prefix) or
>>  default router.  You need a router that sends Router Advertisement
>>  messages for that.
>>
>>  So you need both a DHCPv6 server and a RA daemon/router.
>
>And this is one of the significant problems with IPv6 in a DHCP based
>environment. This may or may not end up being be solved - there is
>*significant* religious opposition to the possibility of using DHCPv6
>for everything.

I must admit that the more I find out, the less impressed I am with
some aspects  of IPv6 - and this is one of them. Historically I've
been used to setting up the routers (note plural) to do the routing,
and a DHCP server to configure clients.

Is RA an automatic function of IPv6 routers, or is it something the
administrator configures ? If it's something the admin needs to
configure, then I see little advantage (in a DHCP environment) over
using DHCP to configure the client, if it's automatic then how does
it know what the admin actually wants ?

--
Simon Hobson