Subnet, Pool, and Zone Declarations

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Nov 9 23:27:00 UTC 2009

The documentation of the syntax of dhcpd.conf seems to be quite thin
and vague, depending more on examples than reference data. Therefore,
if the syntax you have used works, then it's probably correct - or at
least there's no definitive way to disprove it.

However, as a member of the team supporting an IPAM solution such as
you describe, I can say that our development team has had a very
difficult time trying to accommodate all possible combinations of
statements in dhcpd.conf. Therefore I'm not surprised that your
vendor's product has trouble with the syntax you've used - nowhere in
the dhcpd.conf manpage does it say that it is valid to declare a zone
inside another declaration.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice