DHCP problem in a complex scenario with lease events

Matt Causey matt.causey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 23:34:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Matt Causey <matt.causey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you want a stateful object that is reserved for a client, what you
>> are talking about is a 'reserved dynamic lease', which is a separate
>> feature.  Presently the only realistic way to configure reserved
>> leases is via OMAPI, or by mangling the leases file and restarting
>> the server, neither of which are really the best scenario.
>>

> So, understanding this may be a bad idea - I'd like to try it in my
> test environment - but I can't seem to figure out how.  How can I mark
> a given lease as a 'reserved' one?
>
> Thanks!

Sorry - I just went back and read from these list archives and see
that the only way is to hack up the leases file, and start dhcpd
again.

So, is that info current?  There's no way to do this whilst the daemon
is running?  I've got a large number of static reservations (host
statements) which are generated from a database.  I'd like these to be
in the leases file as 'reserved' leases, and wondered if there was a
good way to do this without scripting a leases file hack.  :-)

--
Matt