DHCP problem in a complex scenario with lease events

David W. Hankins dhankins at isc.org
Wed Nov 11 01:27:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 03:34:14PM -0800, Matt Causey wrote:
> Sorry - I just went back and read from these list archives and see
> that the only way is to hack up the leases file, and start dhcpd
> again.
>
> So, is that info current?  There's no way to do this whilst the daemon
> is running?  I've got a large number of static reservations (host
> statements) which are generated from a database.  I'd like these to be
> in the leases file as 'reserved' leases, and wondered if there was a
> good way to do this without scripting a leases file hack.  :-)

Basically, yes.

You can use OMAPI but I wouldn't recommend it, it is not as easy a
tool to use as one might like.  If you're in a testing environment,
you can also use the silly 'infinite-is-reserved' config command that
auto-reserves the lease for the client if they specify an infinite
lease time; if you can coax the client into requesting an infinite
lease time, that is.

--
David W. Hankins	BIND 10 needs more DHCP voices.
Software Engineer		There just aren't enough in our heads.