dhcpd-4.1.0 DLPI Solaris info

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Mon Nov 16 03:11:10 UTC 2009

The README for dhcp-4.1.0 has a little bit of info for a Solaris dhcpd
using DLPI problem.  I have some more data to share.

I am using Solaris 10 U8 (10/09) x86.  If I run dhcpd in a zone (using
exclusive IP) then it seems to work fine. If I run it in the global zone,
dhcpd does receive a first packet (DISCOVER in this case; didn't test
REQUEST) and thinks it is sending a reply, however the reply does not
make it onto the wire, as observed by a tcpdump running on the same host.
After the first packet, dhcpd stops receiving requests.

I don't recall exactly but I think that dhcpd always receives the first
packet after it is restarted, regardless of whether or not tcpdump was
running.

I'm happy to test any proposed fix, however you will have to email me
directly as I am now unsubscribing from the list.

-frank