how to get slp-directory-agent option working

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Tue Oct 13 23:18:51 UTC 2009

>Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:33:33 +0100
>To: Users of ISC DHCP <dhcp-users at lists.isc.org>
>From: Simon Hobson <dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk>
>Subject: RE: how to get slp-directory-agent option working
>
>At 15:50 -0300 13/10/09, Matt Ashfield wrote:
>>I guess I originally incorrectly assumed that any global declarations would
>>be pushed out to the client, whether they are requested or not.
>>Unfortunately, that is exactly what i need at the moment.
>
>dhcp-parameter-request-list will allow you to force a different set
>of options to be sent - but it won't make a client do anything with
>something it doesn't want.

slp-directory-agent is option 78 (decimal), 4e (hex), so you can append
it like this:

	option dhcp-parameter-request-list = concat(option
dhcp-parameter-request-list, 4e);

There is no 'append' operator.

As Simon said, dhcp clients usually only request options that they want
or know how to use. If the client doesn't understand the option, then
it will most likely ignore it.

There is too parts to this: sending the option to the client, and the
client knowing how to decode and use the option. One is no good without
the other.

regards,
-glenn