To add some filter rules in conf file

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 28 09:32:40 UTC 2009

Ashmath Khan wrote:

>Normally, a pool declaration will have a range statement which
>specifies the starting address of the pool etc.
>Suppose I want to define a pool where I don't want the range
>statement to be defined i.e, the dhcpd will pick up any free address
>that it can assign, how do I define such a pool ? will skipping
>range statement work ? or having "range 0.0.0.0" will work ?

Eh ? You cannot NOT specify a range for one simple reason - the
server needs to know what addresses in the subnet it is allowed to
issue to clients. This is NOT the same as "all addresses in the
subnet" since there MUST be not less than one address in use by
either a router or the DHCP server itself. Unlike some other systems,
this package doesn't "guess" (with all the non-deterministic problems
that can cause) - it relies on the administrator to tell it what the
setup should be.

Like your earlier queries, I'm really struggling to understand why
you are going out of your way to make things difficult for yourself.

--
Simon Hobson