Migrating to Failover

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 14:13:34 UTC 2009

Norman Elton wrote:

>I've got a single DHCP server serving roughly a dozen subnets. I want
>to move this to a new pair of DHCP servers running failover. I'd like
>to do this in a controlled manner, one subnet at a time. It's easy to
>change the helper-address on a particular subnet, but I somehow need
>to migrate the leases to the new pair.

Can you clarify - are you migrating from a single server to a
failover pair which does NOT include that single server, or adding
another server to form a pair with the existing server ?

Unless someone knows otherwise, if you add a partner to an existing
server then it will automatically synchronise it's leases. In that
situation, I believe all you need to do is :
- add failover declaration to subnet on existing server
- add subnet declaration to new server
- restart existing server
- restart new server

If you are migrating to a completely new and different DHCP setup,
then yes - you should copy (append) the lease database to the new
servers. You need to be sure that there are no entries for addresses
already in the new servers lease database - they would cause
"unexpected" results.

--
Simon Hobson