Migrating to Failover

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 15:41:46 UTC 2009

Norman Elton wrote:

>So when I fire up a server with a new subnet, it looks like the lease
>files are automatically populated with "free" or "backup" entries.
>Interestingly, the entire pool has lease entries marked "free". The
>second half of the pool has a second lease entry marked "backup". I
>guess these second leases take precedence, allowing the secondary
>server to use the backup entries?
>
>I'm testing some scenarios now, but can I append my real leases to the
>end of this generated file? Or do I need to append them before these
>entries are generated?

Ideally you'd append the real leases before firing up the servers
with the new subnet. The file is a log format - ie entries are only
ever appended - and I assume it is only ever read beginning to end
with any new occurrance of a lease replacing any previous one read. I
was wondering how timestamps would affect reading in the leases (at
least some of your real leases will be older than the new empty
ones), but it probably doesn't matter.

--
Simon Hobson