DHCP Problems

Niall O'Reilly Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
Mon Sep 28 22:19:50 UTC 2009

João Kuchnier wrote:
> Doug,
>
> There is now other way to fix this issue?

	No.

	When you configure a range, you specify that every address
	in the range is available for dynamic allocation.  That's
	what "range" means, in the configuration language.

> João K.
>
> 2009/9/28 Doug Armstrong <doug at ovationdata.com>:
>> João Kuchnier wrote:
>>> Hi everyone!
>>>
>>> I'm having some problems with my DHCP Server configuration.
>>>
>>> I trying to change all my LAN computers to DHCP, however, plenty of
>>> them needs static IP.

	You have to design your addressing plan so that fixed addresses
	are in one part of the space, and dynamic ranges in another.

	There nothing to stop you having lots of little ranges,
	separated by a fixed address here and there, as in Doug's
	example, if that's what you need for the situation you've
	inherited.

	Wishing for some "other way to fix this issue" rather than
	the way the configuration language provides is likely to be
	as fruitful as wishing Portuguese or Italian were the same as
	Spanish.

	Best regards,

	Niall O'Reilly